Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Listening pleasure

For the past few days I've been on lock-down in my room with a cold/flu and it has allowed me time to read and catch up on some beloved podcasts (Erwin McManus from Mosaic is awesome). I'm finally diving into books I received for Christmas and haven't had the chance to enjoy yet! I love to read! My love of books was revived last spring when I read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers! If you haven't read this book you must! It's the first book I've ever read that took me through every emotion a human can have, made me feel a deep connection with the characters and completely inthralled me from start to finish! It's all I talked about for weeks!


I recently finished reading "Be the Change" by Zach Hunter. It was a quick read with stories of people living in bondage who long for freedom and the courageous bystanders who fight (sometimes risking their own lives) to set them free. My eyes were opened to the facts; facts that shocked me beyond belief. Did you know there are 27 million slaves in the world today? Did you know 91 U.S. cities have reported cases of human trafficking? 91! This book was great to put things into perspective and it's awesome to know God is using a 16 year old to bring light to our careless neglect. Zach will be speaking at Lit conference and I'm excited to meet him and hear what God will speak through him Aug. 7th! 

This week I've been reading a book my Mom gave me for Christmas called "The Road Home" by Tenney/Olsen. It's a modern retelling of the story of Ruth which is one of my favorite passages in scripture. I'll let you know how it is when I'm finished. I've also been listening to Erwin McManus series on The Billboard. Obviously I think my husband is the greatest speaker alive but when I'm not listening to him or pastor Pete, I'm on my laptop or i-pod taking in Erwin. If you want to hear something that will stretch your thinking and break you out of your box listen to one of Erwin's talks! 

I always like to know what people are reading and listening to. I'm also attempting to keep myself from being bored! Back to my book! 

0 comments: