Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm a Belle, a Southern one.


Top 5 reasons why I was meant to be a Southern Belle...(in no particular order)

1. It's just too flippin' cold up North. Yes, all the snow is beautiful but I really don't know how people live in these freezing temps for more than a few days. I love that I can, on occasion, wear flip flops in January which, in turn, means my toes must look their best at all times.
2. When you live in the Northern part of the country, your car is dirty for about 6 months out of the year. Seriously, we were in NH for 4 days and I didn't see the first sparkling vehicle. Let me state, for the record, that at the moment my vehicle looks like it belongs in New England but when it finally gets it's bath, it will stay shine-y for at least a few days. Here...not a chance. And don't even get me started on the amount of cleaning necessary to maintain a home that inhabits snow boots. That's just my OCD coming out!
3. I loathe wearing all these layers. What is the point in doing lunges, push-ups & crunches when the results are covered up so much that, not only can you not see the curves, you don't even know they are there at all? For this simple reason I ate too many Oreo's to count in 4 days!! I figure if the clothes are gonna make me look 5-10 pounds heavier, I might as well eat. Not cool. Not cool at all. My friend, Bethany, lives in a freezing state, works out constantly and, quite frankly, is ripped. I, on the other hand, need non-layer accountability! 
4. I like my southern accent. Not only do I like it, I'm proud of it. I love that I call a "half-bath" a "powder room". After all, that IS what it was intended for...to "powder" your nose!! I love the warmth, charm & down right sassiness a little south adds to a conversation. It doesn't matter if we are talking to a man, woman, baby or dog...there is always a little flirt in our tone. 
5. Lastly, I'm not sure if it's a positive or negative but regardless, it is one of the reasons I was destined to be Southern. Ya see, a Belle refuses to leave the house without being fully "dressed". When I say "fully dressed", I'm not saying that my Northern pals walk around exposed. Take a chill pill and hear me out. All I'm saying is they aren't AS concerned as a Belle about making sure hair, make-up (especially a little lip), jewelry, shoes, purse, etc are presentable for the Queen of England. Ya never know when we could run into her in Target and one wouldn't want to be unprepared! I realize that it's vain and superstitious but it's my reality.

Moral of my story...yes, we may have mosquitoes the size of beetles and our tea may be so sweet it could be served as a dessert. Our men may love college football as much as they love their mama's and "give me some sugar" isn't referring to the substance used in our signature drink. We may use improper grammar like "ya'll" and "ain't" but it's all simply heavenly and I love it! 

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I completely agree with you!

Anonymous said...

Funny post, very funny considering I do live in the Northern part of the country. :-)

Good old VeRmOnT.

Bradley and Sara Beth said...

I'm SO with you on this....by the way..i'm wearing flip flops :) the high is in the 70's today!!!

Jenny B said...

I love it! Even though I was born in the north, I think I was meant to be a southerner.

beautiful you said...

I adore your post!!!
I know that I am a New Englander through and through. There are times the Northern chicks wish the seasons were warmer (therefore cleaner and fashionably trendier). However, you have to admit there is a high level of authenticity to the North!
Both North and south have pros and cons. I LOVE your pros of the south and it totally endears me to the thought of being a southern belle (even though I will NEVER be one :/ ...)
I will always be a Yank! But, I do have a heart for the southern culture, too. (although, I do admit I am one that goes authentically natural in my look often, when I leave home) hehe
Love ya, Friend!!!
~ Holly Carver