Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why we do what we do...

Below is an e-mail I received recently from a attendee at a church we visited. As a ministry, we love to see people come to a relationship with Christ! We also love to see people, who are already in a relationship with Christ, come into a moment of awakening where they realize all it truly means to be a Christ follower. The letter below is a perfect picture of the churches we visit and the people we encounter. I was so encouraged by her note and thought I would share it. 

Hi Katie and Cody, 

I was in the Sunday service when you guys visited our church (in a undisclosed place). Can I tell you...[our church] needed to hear what you had to say; I needed to hear what you had to say.  I am amazed that someone my age has such an intense message.  I felt like my soul was lifted higher than it had been lifted in...well, a really long time.  If you don't remember, the service was about being in the world but not of the world.  It was such an honest service and I find myself thinking about it even 45 days later.  Some of those good ol' Southern Baptist folks had their religious ideas turned upside down that morning...but shouldn't it be like that more often?  It is bad when you can predict what the message is going to be before you even get to church.  When you can say, "Let's see, this is the third Sunday this month so, yep that's it: hell-fire and eternal damnation."  I think God has more than that and I think he wants us to wake up and find it. 

I am not one of those message-board-blogger kind of people and I like to keep my thoughts to myself (and those closest to me.)  I am not one of those shout-it-from-the-mountain-top Christians but I felt like you should know that you spoke to me that morning and you (or God through you) got my attention.  Even God's servants need encouraging sometimes.  Please keep doing what you are doing; keep speaking because the generation younger than us needs it.  Actually, I think everyone needs it.  Even the most devout, hard-praying, focused Christians need to be shaken every now and again.   

You probably remember our Pastor.  (Yeah, he was the one that tried to unspeak everything that you spoke that morning...bless his heart.)  Please pray for him and our Church.  Actually, I am not a member of [this church] but I go there with my husband who grew up in that church.  I cannot seem to let myself officially attach to a denomination; I feel like I am a member of the body of Christ which is much bigger than any one denomination.  Anyhoooo...our Church is going through some growing pains.  Please pray for God's Will because we need to be in the business of saving souls and reaching out to people...not social gatherings, gossip and stale sermons.   

Thanks again :-) 
EB

1 comments:

Hollie said...

OK!! I need you to post a new picture b/c I forgot what you looked like! I have figured it out... I see you like everyday for about 2 weeks then we skip a month! CRAZY.