Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rachael Ray

Last night, I cooked. I know most of you are probably wondering what the big deal is, right? Well, I have a confession...we've lived in our house since May 31st and last night was the first time I fired up my sparkling, stainless steel gas cooktop!! I wish I could say I was a tiny bit ashamed but, I'm not. I must make a very important point...I CAN cook, I simply choose not! It's not a fun activity for me and I hate deciding what to whip-up! Also, my Cody doesn't eat leftovers and if you've ever had to cook for 2 people, you understand that it's almost impossible to end up without containers in the fridge. At the very beginning of our marriage when we lived in an apartment (I wish my mortgage was the same as my apartment rent) and we were totally broke, I used to cook quite often. However, so much food would eventually be thrown out because it was either never eaten from the lonely container in the corner of the fridge or it expired before I could cook it! That being said, I broke down this weekend and decided to buy some groceries and put all these appliances, ya know the ones I just "had to have", to good use. Not to brag or anything but I actually cooked 2 meals so we will be eating at home again, tonight. I guess you can call me Rachael Ray. Is anyone out there feeling me on this cooking thing or are you a chef? If you love wearing an apron, please impart your cooking wisdom/recipes! 

9 comments:

Alexandra said...

I hate it! Phillip REFUSES to eat leftovers. He wouldn't eat leftovers from Stoney River. (Yes, it's that bad) So, to cook for him, myself, Griffin who is picky, and Eveyn who will ONLY eat fruit..... Im sad to say: I end up with a migraine by the time its all over! Its never worth it..... Thanks go to the Texas Roadhouse for making me something yummy last night!

Jennifer Kirby said...

I'm with you all the way. Matt doesn't like leftovers and neither do I.

Anonymous said...

Doug will eat leftovers. He thinks that leftovers is God's gift to man. Yes, I do cook and I enjoy it. Since it is hard to cook for two people, we will eat leftovers for 2 nights. There is nothing special about my cooking but I have had people over and everyone enjoys the meals. Maybe you and Cody should come over and have dinner with us and I will prepare a meal. That is totally up to you and Cody.

Amanda said...

I am like so many other people - I absolutely love to cook but who has the time?? I never plan in advance like I should. When my career turns from an office to parenting, I plan on cooking all the time for our kids though. I love trying new recipes! Congrats on cooking more!

Anonymous said...

Living where I live I really have no option other that to cook. Town is abotu 10 minutes away and there are only about 4 place to eat out. Also, NO delivery here, none!

Tonight, as I type actually, I am making chicken parmigiana. It is really easy and you can make it with no leftovers.

First you pound out the chicken breast. You could do 3 pieces. 2 for Cody and 1 for you (or whatever). Then you get a small bowl and crack an egg in it and dip the chicken in, coating both sides. Then in another bown put in breadcrumbs and crumb both sides of chicken. Have a fry pan hot with oil and brown the chicken on both sides. (the bread crumbs and egg make it crunchy). Then Take out chicken and put it in a caserol dish with sauce on the bottom. Place chicken in and top with parmigiana cheese and mozzarella. Bake at 350 for about a half our. YUM. Salad and some breadsticks (they come frozen) and you have a wonderful meal! Mine should be ready in about 20 minutes!

Good luck girl!

Oh and if or Cody don't like chicken parmigiana I just wasted about 5 minutes of my life telling you how to make it! LOL. :-)

Jennifer & Jimmy said...

my money's on....you guys go out to eat tonight! no way you pull it off TWO nights in a row ;)

love ya bud!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Katie. I can cook-with a recipe-of course, nothing fancy coming out my head like martha stewart...i just don't enjoy it! It's too expensive for us to eat out. With the 2 boys, we can't get out of McyD's for under $20!

Hillary Hull said...

I don't really enjoy cooking either and we NEVER EVER eat left overs. YUCK! I do like to bake, though. But cookies and brownies don't make such a great meal! I have a dream to one day be a great cook who cooks for my family every night of the week and I dream of having a dry erase marker board in my kitchen with all the meals planned out for every night of the week! We'll see if that ever happens....

Anonymous said...

OK - I had to comment. I am in the mood to cook most nights, but when I am not, then I don't. We usually don't eat leftovers, but if it's something like lasagna, then yes. Things will change after you have children, for sure, and I definitely think it is easier to eat healthy at home. I never want to order the healthy choices off of a menu! And yes, I have to admit I have the dry erase board on my fridge and have about half of the week's meals planned out, because that's the only way to get everything you need in a once-a-week trip to the grocery!! Congrats on cooking - I have found that the older I get, the more I like it, and the better I get. In my 20s I was not so into it either!!