Thursday, September 11, 2008

The WHOLE Story!

at our rehearsal dinner

So, in all our travels, I always have people ask how Cody and I met and I gladly share our little love story. Once upon a time...we had some mutual friends, saw each other but never met and when we were finally intrudced (yes, I initiated), it was total head-over-heels. We met in Febuary of 2002 and became Mr. & Mrs. in May of 2003!! It was fast and my Mom freaked at first! That's my little tale. However, it's only part of the story. You wouldn't believe how many girls come to me with relationship problems and I give them the WHOLE love story. I've had quiet a few girls ask me recently so I thought I would "blog it out" for all who are interested. I'm gonna try to keep this short so bare with!

Right before my freshman year of high school, we moved to AL and it totally turned my little world upside down. I went from a small school/town where I knew everyone to a small town where nobody knew me. That being said I started from scratch making new friends and building relationships. Just about the time I started finding my groove, my family moved to GA. After we moved, I started my Junior year at a HUGE school and celebrated my sweet 16. My Dad took me to dinner for my Birthday and presented me with a necklace that had a heart and a key. He gave me the heart and he kept the key and said that when I found my true love he would pass the key to that man to have for the rest of my life. I never really questioned whether or not I would save myself for marriage mainly because of how I was raised but also, in part, because I'd never had a "relationship" opportunity. I mean, I hung out with boys and went to prom, winter formal, homecoming dances and even had a crush but I was never involved in a "dating relationship".

I'd seen all my friends and cousins who were involved in relationships, poured all their energy and, most importantly, their hearts into a guy only to walk away broken. I saw the anger, tears, hurt and broken hearts over relationships and I was determined for that to NEVER happen to me. I was content to have a bunch of good friends and no "boyfriend".  I'm sure most of the people around me thought something was wrong with me or I was crazy! Regardless, I set a standard and stood by it. My guy would have to open doors for me, pay for meals, love God and love me.

At the end of my senior year, I started spending time with a nice guy that was a little older. I'd never had a boy show any interest in me so I loved that he called me and wanted to spend time hanging out but I never really felt like it was a real relationship. I started college in the fall and started to grow deeper in my relationship with Christ. All the while, I was talking to and hanging out with this guy as much as possible. Then, out of the blue, he stopped taking my calls, stopped speaking to me and totally avoided me. I was crushed! I couldn't understand why he would show such interest and then drop me like a bad habit. Even though this guy was never my "boyfriend", I was mad and hurt.

I started reading God's word more, praying more and loving my relationship with Christ more every day. I thought about all the time and energy I'd put into this friendship with this guy and how hurt I was by him. I knew I would never want to go through that on a deeper level with a boyfriend. At that point, I made a commitment to myself and to God and started praying that the first person I dated and the first person I kissed be the person I married. I continued meeting people at school, getting involved in the college ministry at the church and learning as much as possible about what God had for me. 

Not too long after making this commitment, I met a guy who lived in TN. It seemed like a total crazy thing for us to fall for each other since he lived 4.5 hours away! We met on a Thursday night and that Sunday night while I was reading "Lady in Waiting", God showed me that this guy was the one for me. I was scared to death and I didn't know how it was going to work out. Our entire relationship was nurtured over long hours on the phone which made for some pretty outrageous bills (to the dissatisfaction of my father). I learned that God is so much bigger than my plans and He has an amazing plan for each life if we just give Him control. On May 30, 2003, my Dad handed this guy the key to my heart, both literally and figuratively. Cody Deese...first date, first kiss and I couldn't be happier!

7 comments:

David and Rhonda Smith said...

Hey I just got a blog, come and check it out! Rhonda

Jenn said...

Katie...I loved this story. Thanks for sharing it :) Cody is one lucky guy! Luv you both!!!

Alexandra said...

That is too sweet. And you are absolutley adorable. The two of yall....

Anonymous said...

Awww. So cute. Thanks for sharing. (your hair was so cute in that picture!). Post wedding pictures next!

Anonymous said...

Fatboy aint so fat in these pictures! haha! This is beautiful and encouraging! I love both of you!

Hollie said...

OK, now it's time for the story of the next chapter.....starting a family:) I know I am quite harassing on this subject....

Amanda said...

what a great story and testimony Katie! Thank you for sharing it!